Saturday, January 30, 2010

In fact, inspirations may come from somewhere you never expected. -Zaldy Goco


Adding to the list of designers that I am fascinated with is Zaldy Goco. 
If you saw "This is It" (the Michael Jackson movie) you'll remember an Asian gay (who happens to be Filipino) brunette who was outfitting and describing the costumes for the tour. I was mesmerized by those amazing costumes when I first saw them. He teamed up with a lighting company for MJ's tuxedo "lumalite" pants to create the ones seen above. He would've been the first to use the technology for a garment like that.


I just loved the silhouettes he used for the costumes and I really thought that those costumes were wearable and saleable. I especially loved the emphasis on the shoulders. I thought they were well put together and not so overly dramatic (in my taste). For MJ's last tour, I think Zaldy really hit it over the head.



Aside from working with MJ, Zaldy (who has worked in the industry for more than 10+ years and even had his own Ready to Wear line Spring 2002 - Fall 2006) has worked with Gwen Stefani in L.A.M.B's early stages to create the line and helped with the creative direction for it. "From Rufus Wainwright to RuPaul, Mary J. Blige to Jennifer Lopez, and Mick Jagger to the Scissor Sisters, Zaldy’s fashion-meets-music resume is impressive and diverse indeed," says Business of Fashion, which recently sat down with the photogenic designer for a two-part interview (here and here).

Most recently, I was able to see some of the work in person that he designed for one of my favorite artists, Lady GaGa! Reading further into who Zaldy is, I found that he is also a part of the Haus of GaGa.

No comments:

Post a Comment